Boudoir photography is a form of photography that includes intricate portraits of the subjects in a photographic studio. Rooted in the French word ‘boudoir’ which transliterates to a woman’s private dressing room, this type of photography is intimate and solely for personal reasons of the subject involved.
Photo by Billy ONAIR Photography
Makeup and Hair by Joey Makeup Atelier
Compared to fashion models who are professionals in the modeling industry, boudoir photography entails photographing those people who have not been in such an intimate position before and are not accustomed to shoots such as these.
Read on to find out why you should go for boudoir photographic shoots and how you can prep for one beforehand:
Reasons to Do a Boudoir Photography Shoot
There are numerous reasons why you should opt for a boudoir photography shoot. Some of them include:
· Empowerment. If you feel you lack the confidence for such a shoot, this is one of the primary reasons why you should opt for it. Boudoir pushes the photographic subjects to work outside their comfort zone and expose a whole new side of themselves. It is a sign of courage and also results in beautiful pictures for you to admire later on.
· Celebrations. Intimate pictures, such as those taken in boudoir shoots, can be compiled to celebrate specific milestones. A woman could capture her maternity journey till the time of birth, or gift the boudoir book to their partner before the night of their wedding. Personal moments that someone would like to capture, work well as boudoir photographs.
· Establishing a relationship. Boudoir photographs given to a subject’s significant other establishes a bond of trust and intimacy. It helps establish a stronger relationship and acts as a permanent reminder of never-ending love between the two. If someone feels comfortable sharing intimate pictures of themselves with their loved ones, it is as if the subject is opening up a new aspect in the relationship.
Tips Before the Portrait Shoot
There are a number of ways you can prepare promptly before your shoot date. We’ve listed some boudoir photography tips down below:
· Prep your skin. Shower, moisturize, and apply body oil so your skin can feel smooth as ever. Your arms and legs will be most visible in the camera shots, so it is better to prep them beforehand. Pamper yourself with a manicure and pedicure beforehand and make sure your hands and feet are clean before the shoot day.
· Consider Tanning. If you want that specific skin glow, consider going for a tan a few days before the shoot. This will give you a sun-kissed look and the shots will turn out great. However, tanning is a personal preference and all skin colors look great on camera!
· Haircare. Get your hair trimmed or toned before the shoot. If you love hair color, stick to a color that looks the most natural. Remember, it is about being yourself in the shoot and being proud of who you are. You can also opt for volumizing shampoos and products before curling or straightening your hair so they last longer.
Now that you know reasons why people opt for such shoots and some boudoir photography tips, empower yourself, and book your session right away!